Reflecting on the past year, we are grateful that loyal supporters like you have stood by us through challenging times. Before the merger with HealthRIGHT 360, the future of Lyon-Martin Health Services was uncertain. We did not know if we could keep our doors open – and in turn continue to provide quality, culturally sensitive care to women and transgender people. But you, our community of supporters, were always there for us.
The merger with HealthRIGHT 360 has allowed us to continue and improve the care we provide to our community. Now that we have strengthened our financial base, we are free to concentrate on how to grow, innovate and go beyond the excellent care we provide, pushing the envelope even further with groundbreaking healthcare for all women, including women of size, of color, lesbian women, and trans*individuals.
In the months since the merger, we have already accomplished so much:
- We have fully integrated behavioral health into our day to day practice; this means robust mental health and substance use disorder assessments and treatment planning is now available as a part of primary care.
- We are adding our voice to the national conversation on what quality health care is for LGBT people and how we ensure that our communities are getting it.
- Electronic Health Records (EHR) have been implemented throughout our clinic, making paper charting a relic of the past, and fulfilling one of the mandates of the Affordable Care Act.
- We have completed and implemented a Rapid Dramatic Performance Improvement (DPI) booster with Coleman Associates which allows us to increase the robustness of each patient experience while decreasing the amount of time people wait – both for appointments and to be seen once they are here.
- Dr. Dawn Harbatkin continued her work on WHAM (Women’s Health And Mindfulness), presenting the findings at several conferences, and is actively working on our research agenda.
The Lyon-Martin presence in the HealthRIGHT 360 Family has shown these benefits:
- The newly elected Chair of the HealthRIGHT 360 Board of Directors is Trisha Walsh, formerly a Lyon-Martin board member and proud former consumer.
- We are helping HealthRIGHT 360 be more trans*-competent for its leaders, clients, and staff, and have provided our Trans*101 workshops for staff and board. Plans are in place to offer this training throughout the community and beyond the healthcare industry into all corporate arenas.
- We are working with HealthRIGHT 360 to make the entire organization’s Electronic Health Records system dynamic and trans-competent.
- Human resource policies and systems have been changed to better accommodate trans* staff members and become a trusted employer for the community.
Lyon-Martin is here to stay. Thanks to the merger, our clients will be able to continue to receive quality, culturally sensitive care in a warm, welcoming environment. With your help, we can do more for our community than maintain this care – we can improve it, innovate, and create change. We can develop our internal systems and programs to better serve our patients. We can help people outside of our local community and make a difference throughout California and nationally by sharing our expertise with other providers. We can address health disparities by doing research about our not only underserved, but understudied populations.
We will always need and rely on the help and support of our community. Your support of Lyon-Martin enables us to concentrate on being a beacon in the community – in fact, a beacon in the nation for the compassionate, respectful and professional treatment that everyone deserves.
With gratitude for your generosity and support,
Vitka Eisen, MSW, Ed.D
CEO, HealthRIGHT 360
P.S. Your tax-deductible gift will mean so much to those we care for, especially during this holiday season.